Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: The Coat Room - Trailer

  1. #1
    Inactive Member Duchamp78's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 24th, 2005
    Posts
    3
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Hey Everybody -

    I'm new here and this is my first post.

    Here is a link to my trailer:

    www.thecoatroom.com/thecoatroom.wmv

    It's a movie about a coat room in an art museum during a fictitious Marcel Duchamp exhibition. This movie is the definition of low budget.

    Let me know what you guys think.

    Cheers,

  2. #2
    Inactive Member Nigel's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 31st, 2000
    Posts
    1,668
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Dunno...It's Windows Media.

    Good Luck

  3. #3
    Inactive Member Vertino's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 9th, 1999
    Posts
    388
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Originally posted by Duchamp78:
    This movie is the definition of low budget.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I know what you mean. Although the trailer didn't grab me, I can see what you're trying to do.

    But I'd probably end up watching it just for the lesbian kissing scene - yes I'm shallow, and yes thats the only reason I watched 'Cruel Intentions'.

    Good luck!

  4. #4
    Inactive Member twister!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    June 24th, 2001
    Posts
    1,034
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I like it - it looks very good and it made me laugh too. It looks like a well written, well acted and interesting and original piece. Well done. [img]graemlins/thumbs_up.gif[/img]

    Don't put yourself down by saying it's 'the epitome of low budget' - it doesn't look it at all. You should sell it's qualities - don't point out what you consider to be its weaknesses.

    My criticism is that at 2.5 mins - it's very long for a trailer. I think you could easily begin the trailer at what is currently the 20 second point ("I hate.....") for starters.

    Is the full film a short or a feature?

    Can you tell us more about the production and making of etc?

    <font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ July 25, 2005 04:00 AM: Message edited by: Justin M. ]</font>

  5. #5
    Inactive Member Duchamp78's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 24th, 2005
    Posts
    3
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Thanks for watching the trailer. Awesome feedback.The consensus seems to be that the trailer is too long. I don't know If I agree but I can see why most would think so.

    The Movie is a feature (99 minutes) shot on the DVX 100A for about $8000. There really wasn't a crew (myself, camera op & boom)a mistake I never want to make again [img]frown.gif[/img]

    The Soundtrack is cool and there is definitely enough gratuitous nudity to attract some viewers...hopefully it can make it into a festival and find an audience.

    Thanks for help guys!

  6. #6
    Inactive Member peter_g's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 23rd, 2003
    Posts
    253
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I enjoyed the trailer. I felt that the performances and direction were very strong, but that it was let down by low production values. The audio was quite bad. You could probably improve it considerably if you fine tweaked it in a pro tools system (noise gates and so forth could reduce the extraneous reverb, which is particularly bad during the "I hate..." monologue. Was the audio recorded in camera or on a DAT deck? Also, the music was bad. The indie guitar strum track struck me as very clich?d. The harmonica solo at the start was cacophonous.

    As for the length of the trailer, I thought it was just about right. It intrigued me, it gave me some expectations, but it did not tell me anything about the conflict that is, presumably, central to this film. Conflict is, as they say, the essence of drama.

    If this film got a cinematic release, I would go and see it. Character driven stories with interesting dialogue appeal to me. However, it won?t get even a limited theatrical release until you tidy up the audio. If there is one thing that an audience absolutely, positively will not tolerate it is poor audio. There is no excuse for it in this day and age.

  7. #7
    Inactive Member eddie123456789's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 30th, 2002
    Posts
    152
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    That looks great.

    Jim Carrey, Sharon Stone .... lookalikes???
    Or was it my imagination....?

  8. #8
    Inactive Member Vlad the Impaler's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 3rd, 2001
    Posts
    334
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    It looks good, well shot... but I agree about the music... it doesn't fit.. both in the mix and it distracts from whats going on.

    Also does anyone else feel the music should come to an abrupt halt when the girl goes 'I know exactly what you mean' I think that would be cool [img]smile.gif[/img]

    Then cut to the Titles.. then finish with the Guy lying on his back talking about the chains...

    Just my opinion anyways

    Over and out

    <font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ July 27, 2005 09:05 AM: Message edited by: Rob.. ]</font>

  9. #9
    Inactive Member Duchamp78's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 24th, 2005
    Posts
    3
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    The audio was mixed professionally months after the trailer was cut. However, the music track was recorded low-fi and there is not much that can be done about it

    As far as cinematic release, well, the audio is least of my concerns. It was shot 4:3 so a blowup or uprez seems out of the question (unless a dist. want to pay for it). There is also much nudity and adult language which further limits the prospects.

    In any event this is a great forum. Lots of great feedback. thanks everybody!

    Cheers,

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •